Some of the best things in life really are free
.. a collection of free things to do in Australia
We’ve put together a collection of great Australian travel experiences in some of the nation’s most popular spots that wont cost you a cent!
- Stroll through the Sydney Botanic Gardens, a beautiful waterside oasis on the edge of the city showcasing a colourful collection of native and exotic plants (there are free daily guided tours to learn about some of the gardens’ most fascinating seasonal exhibits). The gardens also offer one of the best vantage points for photos of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge!
- Visit the Art Gallery of New South Wales which houses stunning Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island artworks, collections of Australian art from colonisation to contemporary alongside works from greats across the globe. Admission to the permanent galleries is free, as are a collection of daily guided tours.
- Head for the beach, there are more than 100 to choose from without even leaving the city limits; famous surf beaches such as Bondi, Palm Beach and Manly, popular local beaches such as Balmoral or Freshwater and hidden harbour coves (try Parsley Bay for a pretty local picnic spot or grab a refreshing sorbet at Camp Cove Watsons Bay),
- Enjoy one of Sydney’s colourful free festivals as a great way to get in to the local swing of things. Highlights on the annual calendar include Sydney Festival (Jan), Mardi Gras (Mar), Vivid (May / June) and the NYE Fireworks
- Walk the spectacular Bronte to Bondi cliff-top walk to soak up the local vibe and enjoy stunning costal views. Finish with a swim in the surf or a great Australian ‘flat white’ coffee at one of the many beachside cafes. If you visit in October you can also catch the fabulous Sculpture by the Sea exhibition that lines this walk each year (18 Oct – 4 Nov 2018).
- Head to the Opera Bar at the foot of the Sydney Opera House’s white sails to enjoy unbeatable harbour views and daily live music.
QUEENSLAND AND THE GREAT BARRIER REEF
- Join a free exercise class (from Aqua Aerobics to Zumba) or a dip in the lagoon-style pool on the Cairns Esplanade.
- Head to the Port Douglas Yacht Club on a Wednesday afternoon to be invited to crew on a local yacht.
- Take the free Hamilton Island bus to One Tree Hill in time for ‘cocktail hour’ and watch the sun set over the beautiful Whitsundays.
- Visit the Flecker Botanic Gardens. Just 4kms from the centre of Cairns, Australia’s only wet tropic botanic gardens showcase a beautiful collection of native and exotic plants.
- Visitors who stay on one of the Great Barrier Reef islands will in most cases be able to take themselves on a self-guided tour to snorkel amongst brightly coloured corals teaming with brilliant local marine life straight off the beach in front of their resort (Don’t miss the opportunity to drift over the beautiful Clam Garden off Lizard Island’s Watsons Bay, swim with turtles off Catseye Beach in Hamilton Island or with Manta Rays off Lady Elliot Island)
ULURU & AUSTRALIA’S RED CENTRE
Guests of Ayers Rock Resort (Sails in the Desert, Dessert Gardens or Outback Pioneer) can enjoy a number of complimentary Red Centre activities
- Learn about indigenous bush foods with a cooking demonstration including tastings of seasonal seeds, fruits and spices.
- Be captivated by tales of Aboriginal history, culture and traditional techniques told by a local indigenous storyteller.
- Join an indigenous guide on a walk through the desert gardens to learn how Aboriginal people traditionally lived by using the bush for food and medicinal purposes.
- Watch a contemporary sound and lighting performance that brings to life the legends of ancient ancestral beings.
- Learn about local history, Aboriginal culture, geology, flora and fauna from an indigenous guide at the Wintjiri Museum.
Guests staying at the beautiful Longitude 131 are also treated a range of additional complimentary local tours and experiences.
A beautiful vantage point from which to take that postcard perfect photo, fabulous short walks that showcase the enviable local lifestyle, a tranquil picnic spot to stop and enjoy the view, a beautiful beach for a refreshing dip, these are some of the best free things to do in Australia! Southern Crossings Travel Designers specialise in sharing secret local tips – and in curating some of the most memorable ‘money can’t buy’ moments!