Great Reasons to visit Australia’s Northern Territory
Southern Crossings’ collection of immersive Northern Territory touring, scenic self-drives, legendary rail journeys and spectacular air safaris showcase the Northern Territory’s unbeatable natural beauty and unique accommodation, in combination with our signature experiences that deliver holidays to treasure for a lifetime.
With plenty of space for sublime social distancing and home to a host of bucket-list Australian adventures, our prediction is that the Red Centre and the Top End are going to be Red Hot destinations for Australians looking to explore their amazing backyard. So, our tip is to book early!
What’s hot in the NT ? 20 great reasons to visit Australia’s Northern Territory:
The Northern Territory offers opportunities to experience the truly extraordinary; don’t miss these Northern Territory Must Do’s
- Witness the changing colours of Uluru in the company of a member of the Uluru family or whilst enjoying a private dune-top dinner in the outback.
- Hike the Kings Canyon Rim Walk at sunrise
- Learn the legends of the Dreamtime with a hands-on Aboriginal dot painting workshop (we can arrange engaging art classes in the heart of the Red Centre or in remote the Aboriginal communities of Arnhem Land)
- Take a heli tour to Litchfield national park to swim in spectacular waterholes and picnic by picturesque waterfalls.
- Sleep under outback stars! (we can highly recommend Longitude 131’s beautiful swags on the balcony of your canopied private outback pavilion).
- Follow in the tracks of inspiring pioneers and traverse the continent on one of the world’s greatest rail journeys, travelling with the legendary Ghan between Darwin and Adelaide.
- Enjoy guided wilderness and wildlife safaris on foot or on horseback, in an open-top 4WD, by floatplane or heli.
- Experience life on working cattle station for an authentic window into life in the outback.
- Travel a less-touristed trail to cruise the Coburg peninsula, enjoy campfire dinners and spectacular cliff-top sundowners touring Arnhem Land’s remote reaches and beaches with an expert guide by your side.
- Explore the Mary River Floodplains by airboat and cruise with giant saltwater crocs.
- Land yourself a legendary barramundi (we can recommend rewarding heli-fishing experiences in the Territory’s most remote rivers)
- Spot beautiful birdlife from a treetop hide: watch jabiru wading, magpie geese migrating and brolgas dancing.
- Hike Australia’s iconic desert trail (enjoying gourmet campfire dinners and sleeping under spectacular star-studded skies at exclusive award-winning camps (complete with hot showers and comfortable swags!). We can also recommend a collection of breath-taking short walks right across the Territory, from the Kata Tjuta to Kakadu.
- Enjoy sublime seclusion from the cares of the rest of the world at your beachfont eco-retreat in the Arafura Sea.
- Watch the sun set from Mindil Beach whilst enjoying multi-cultural bites from Darwin’s colourful beachside markets.
- Cuddle a kangaroo, visit the Royal Flying Doctors and see the School of Air in action. Learn about the region’s colourful pioneering past at the Old Telegraph Station and the indigenous legends captured in the Southern Stars at the Red Centre Earth Sanctuary .. all before you even leave Alice Springs.
- Soak up the serenity, floating in Mataranka’s picturesque palm-fringed thermal pools.
- Don’t miss the opportunity to see, smell, touch and taste traditional bush tucker and medicines in the company of an engaging local indigenous host
- Gain unique insights into the traditional and contemporary culture of the Jawoyn people, staying at an indigenous-owned lodge perched above Nitmiluk Gorge and the Katherine River waterways.
- Ask about private jet touring options to really appreciate, and easily navigate, the vast outback.
How to explore the NT in style:
See our collection of Northern Territory itineraries curated especially for locals or ask one of our talented Travel Designers to tailor a Northern Territory adventure that’s just right for you!