An Insider Guide to New Zealand’s Luxury Fishing Adventures
Allow us to introduce you to some of New Zealand’s luxury fishing adventures.
Fishing fanatics and amateur anglers alike are spoilt for choice in New Zealand. Luxury fishing lodges lure visitors to New Zealand’s oceans, lakes, rivers and hidden mountain streams to discover world-class year-round fresh- and saltwater fishing adventures. One stay in these luxury fishing lodges and you’re sure to be hooked!
When to go – the best time to enjoy one of New Zealand’s luxury fishing adventures:
October to April: most rivers are open for fishing, with trout and salmon fishing at its prime
December to June: Big Game Fishing in Northland and the Bay of Plenty
March to June: Enjoy Rotorua’s world class fly-fishing
March to May: the best time of year to combine fishing and hunting adventures in New Zealand’s spectacular surrounds
Year-round: Lake Taupo brown trout renowned for their size, strength and stealth
Where to stay – A collection of New Zealand’s fabulous luxury fishing lodges:
Luxury lodges provide access to some of the New Zealand’s top fishing destinations and experiences; the most rewarding remote rivers, best appointed luxury fishing charters and exclusive expert-led angling experiences. Here are some of our favourite lodges that offer opportunities to enjoy New Zealand’s luxury fishing adventures:
- Huka Lodge: founded as a fishing lodge in the 1920’s, the iconic Huka Lodge has spent many years refining some of New Zealand’s most exclusive and rewarding fishing experiences, complemented by luxury lodgings and award-winning dining. Anglers from around the world are lured by Huka Lodge’s access to world-class challenging and rewarding Taupo / Tongariro trout fishing.
- Poronui Lodge: in the tranquil Taharua Valley, Poronui High Country Estate is one of the world’s finest sporting lodges offering access to some of New Zealand’s most exciting fly fishing adventures on foot, by four wheel drive or helicopter. Guests from the lodge’s seven individual accommodation cabins gather over shared meals and swap tales in the Lodge.
- The Landing Residences: enjoy game fishing for tuna and marlin in the beautiful Bay of Islands, aboard Ata Rangi – perhaps New Zealand’s most luxuriously appointed fishing charter vessel, ready for scenic day tours or, with accommodation for up to 6, an adventurous sea-based multi-day fishing expedition.
- Minaret Station: heli-fishing adventures whisk anglers away to ‘spot and stalk’ in remote mountain rivers and glacier-fed streams. Guests of the remote Minaret Station mountain lodge enjoy rewarding back-country fly fishing in New Zealand’s spectacular Southern Alps, casting a line surrounded by the majestic Fiordland scenery or adrenalin-pumping sea fishing charters on the Wild West Coast.
- Stonefly Lodge: on the banks of the Motueka River, Stonefly Lodge offers easy access to some of the best fly-fishing experiences in New Zealand and heli-adventures to the remote reaches of the Kauhurangi National Park. Those seeking an ultra-luxe fishing escape, need look no further than Stonefly’s brand-new Falconbrae private villa!
- The Lindis: In New Zealand’s North Otago, The Lindis’ glass-fronted luxury lodge looks out over the Ahuriri Valley and the Ahuriri River – one of the top ten fly fishing destinations in the world.
From Helena Bay to Blanket Bay, there are dozens more fabulous New Zealand fishing adventures to be had. Contact the Southern Crossings Travel Design team for further inspiration and to tailor your Ultimate New Zealand Fishing Vacation.
Top Tips for a luxury fishing vacation in New Zealand
- Book early – New Zealand’s finest luxury lodges, by their very exclusive nature, have limited capacity and book up well in advance, as do New Zealand’s top fishing guides.
- Fish with a guide – you will learn invaluable local tips and discover hidden fishing spots with New Zealand’s expert fishing guides by your side.
- Heli-fishing adventures showcase some of New Zealand’s most spectacular scenery and provide access to exclusive angling experiences that will live with you forever.
- If you decide to bring your own waders and / or non-synthetic fly ties they are likely to be subject to New Zealand’s stringent border security checks and treatment. Most fishing adventures can also supply all your equipment locally.
- Don’t let a New Zealand luxury fishing vacation be ‘the one that got away’ !
Contact Southern Crossings to incorporate one of New Zealand’s luxury fishing adventures into your personalised luxury travel itinerary, or read on for further inspiration with luxury fishing adventures in Australia.