10 great ways to explore Western Australia!
Full of awe-inspiring natural wonders, Western Australia invites you to get outdoors and active (and be indoors and pampered!), get lost in the landscape or find your fun in the sun.
Wildflowers, coastal walks, wilderness, wines and wildlife. From the outback to the ocean, Western Australia has it all!
10 great ways to explore WA
- Explore the Margaret River region from cape to grape: stretch your legs on one of the nation’s most beautiful multi-day hikes (the 4-day guided and accommodated Cape to Cape) following scenic coastal tracks and beautiful surf beaches, then reward yourself with some of the country’s finest wines and fabulous wine country accommodation
- Snap a selfie with a quokka! These cute and curious creatures are always ready with a smile on Rottnest Island. Spend the day in Perth’s playground (Rottnest is only a short ferry ride or a scenic seaplane flight from the city), or stay a little longer at the island’s new beachside glamping retreat: there’s fabulous snorkelling, great cycling, fascinating history and sensational seafood to enjoy!
- For a true bucket-list experience, swim with some of the gentlest giants of the sea: majestic whalesharks (April – July) and magnificent humpback whales (July – October) on Ningaloo Reef. Swim witg manta-rays and kayak with turtles, snorkel over rainbow coral gardens and spot emus in the Cape Range National park, from guided gorge walks to dark sky stargazing; there are so many other fabulous reasons to visit Australia’s “other” great reef !
- Set off on a family adventure to remember, four-wheel-driving the great Gibb River Road from Kununurra to Broome, to enjoy a spectacular natural diversity from the outback to the ocean: dramatic gorges and the breathtaking Bungle Bungle, stunning thermal springs and wonderful wilderness lodges await.
- Base yourself in the multi-cultural beachside town of Broome to enjoy a collection of unique experience: take a behind the scenes pearl farm tour to learn the town’s colourful pearling history and listen to local indigenous legends as you hike the coastal walking tracks, ride a camel on Cable Beach and follow in dinsosaur footsteps at Gantheaume Point, take a seaplane scenic flight to Cape Leveque and jet boat with tides through the spectacular Horizontal Falls.
- Tour Western Australia’s spectacular South West to visit the legendary gold mining town of Kalgoorlie, marvel at picture-perfect pink lakes and share the stunning sands of Lucky Bay with the resident kangaroos. Travel through towering Karri forests and seasonal wildflower displays (September – early November), calling into sample the wines of the wonderful Margaret River before you loop back to Perth.
- Cruise the spectacular Kimberley coast to explore some of the most remote reaches and pristine places on the planet. Watch Montgomery Reef rise from the sea and waterfalls cascading over ochre-red cliffs, spot dugongs, turtles and giant saltwater crocs, heli to picture perfect picnic spots, fish for barramundi or hike to marvel at some of the world’s oldest artworks that decorate even older ancient landscapes.
- Head (way) outback to enjoy a stay at the beautiful Bullo River working cattle station, made famous Australian cattle farmer and author, Sara Henderson (from Strength to Strength); and recently refurbished under the tasteful eye of interior stylist Sibella Court; and combine it with a stay at the equally remote beachfront Kimberley Coastal Camp on the pristine shores of the Admiralty Gulf to really get away from the cares of the rest of the world.
- For the ultimate family-friendly indulgence, combine sand-boarding in the Pinnacles Desert and swimming with whalesharks on the Ningaloo Coast with a private heli-safari to some of the most remote and scenically spectacular corners of our continent, swimming in secret waterholes and staying in breathtaking wilderness camps on a 5-day tour of the Kimberley.
- Hit the tracks to get way off the beaten track and traverse the continent from coast to coast, Perth to Sydney with the legendary Indian Pacific rail journey.
Need more Western Australia travel inspiration ?
Our collection of Western Australian itineraries: self-drives, guided touring, coastal cruises, rail journeys and private air safaris, showcase the State’s iconic highlights and some of our favourite local insights.
Unique and boutique accommodation combined with Southern Crossings’ signature immersive and interactive experiences, deliver holidays to treasure for a lifetime, but if none of these are ‘quite right’, our talented team of travel designers are ready to tailor your ideal vacay in WA!